Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hard wiring Flat-4 trailer connector on a 2005 Mustang V6

7K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  amustangrocks 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm having some difficulty hard wiring a flat-4 connector to the rear tail lights so that I can legally tow a small trailer with my 2005 Mustang v6.

I have a copy of the OEM Ford wiring color codes for the rear tail light wires and matched the yellow flat-4 wire to the left turn/brake wire and the brown to the running lights and the green wire to the right turn/brake light wire....and also used the same ground spot for the connector that the tail lights are grounded to.

When I first connected the flat-4 connector the 3 test LED's that light up when a good connection is detected only lit up 2 of the lights and even then only when I had the running light or head lights on.
The LED for the left turn/brake did not light up on the test LED.
Also, when i tested the light funtions with a $20 trailer light kit, the lights do not respond when I use the turn signals or press the break pedal. They only come on when the running light or headlights are on.

Before I take it to a mechanic, I was hoping someone here might know what I was overlooking or if I might need a converter in order to get this thing to work.

I've tried using a multi-meter to test the wire connections and even tried different wire color combos and the end result is that all 3 test LED's light up only when the headlights/running lights are on and no turn signals or brake signals register.

Thank you for any help you can offer.:scratchchin

Allyn

See less See more
#2 ·
why would you tow things with a mustang?
shame on you

#3 ·
why would you use a mustang to tow things around.
shame on you

#9 ·
Oh come one people! I might use mine to tow a small SCAG (0 turn lawn mower) because right now it is one of my big sources of income haha.

#6 ·
Wish I could help you, but I cant think of what could be wrong, w/h only 4 wires it should be pretty simple, and if you'er doing it correctly<don't know the oem wire colors> but it sounds like you R doing it correctly... Hopefully someone on here can help you through it and not bash you for obviously "having" to tow with the Stang. The only other option is probably safer <not knowing the lbs. towing> rent a U-haul put the stuff in it, and get a tow dolly for your baby. 1 way rental shouldnt be too bad $ and you wont have to skimp on what you want to take with you. The dolly is only like 39.95 or so. Good luck with the move.

#7 ·
I have a hitch on my car to pull a ZX10 on a trailer.

Regarding the wiring, the voltage going to the tailights on these cars are not enough to power trailer lights.
The taillights are controlled by a computer box and only about 1 volt is sent to the tail. The power for the lights comes from a different location.

You basically have to run relays with a power wire going to the battery and use the wires you tapped as triggers for the relays.

That's why you see your LED's light up but not the trailer lights.

I haven't wired mine up yet but I will be using a powered module like this -
Circuit Protected Modulite 4 Pole Harness with Hardwire Kit (Includes Testers) 118176KIT : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com

Hope this helps if you haven't already got it working.

#10 ·
hitch

i`m thinking about it too. i had a hitch all set up on my pt cruser( 4cyl) and towed the 12 ft jon boat to the car wash. but before i could pull my boat to go fishin it got totaled out. but thats when i got the stang. still thinkin on this one though. ive got a old 3/4 ton 4x4, but cant afford the gas in it to go very far from home to go fishin. havent gone once this year, what a delema

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.